- Goal and action orientated.
- Self-reliant, efficient and flexible with the ability to think both creatively and strategically.
- Able to lead, inspire, influence and motivate.
- Resourceful, resilient and efficient.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and capable of presenting to a range of audiences.
- Able to manage change and understand and respond to both public sector/community and commercial goals.
- Highly IT literate and fluent in a wide range of software applications.
Professional Experience and skills
I am a teacher and scholar with subject expertise in popular music, music technology and education. I am also an experienced senior academic manager with an exceptional track record in terms of managing growth and change. My career to date has provided me with significant experience of:
- line management;
- leadership in quality assurance, learning & teaching, research & enterprise;
- development and implementation of academic and quality assurance/enhancement strategy policy and process;
- teacher training and staff development;
- chairing committees and leading working groups:
- I have acted as Chair for BIMM Institute’s Quality Assurance Committee and as Deputy Chair to its Academic Board;
- I have acted as an exam board chair and expert advisor on academic regulations and appeals;
- I currently Chair of BIMM Institute’s Learning, Teaching & Enhancement Committee, Research and Enterprise Committee, Curriculum Steering Group and CMA Working Group;
- project and budget management including large virtual and physical infrastructure and capital projects;
- course and module leadership, curriculum development and management;
- course approval/validation and periodic review having led and advised course development teams on over twenty occasions;
- Chair or expert external panel member of approval/review panels on eleven occasions.
I also have significant experience of working as an external quality/subject expert including:
- External Examiner: Southampton Solent University 2007-2010, Kent University 2012 to 2015, University of Bedfordshire 2017-current;
- QAA reviewer 2011-current;
- member of the QAA Alternative Providers Forum 2013-2017;
- external member of University of Sussex Collaborative Provision Committee 2013-16;
- external member of Bath Spa Universities Academic Quality and Standards Committee 2014-17;
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) International Peer Reviewer 2017-current;
- PhD examination: Thomas Wilson ‘approaches to a pop-derived musical language’ Royal Holloway University 2017;
- member of the HEA’s Quality Advisory Board 2017-current;
- TEF Subject Pilot Panel Member Creative Arts 2018.
Qualifications and Awards
- Diploma in Advanced Analogue and Digital Recording and Production Techniques: Media Production Services (1993).
- MA in Audio Production with Distinction: University of Westminster (2004).
- Nominated as a Rising Star by TVU for the HEA National Teaching Fellowship Scheme (2004).
- Visiting Research Fellow London College of Music TVU (2007).
- West Focus Knowledge Exchange Fellow (2007).
- Fellow: Higher Education Academy (2011).
- Doctor of Education: University of Sussex (2016).
- Principal Fellow: Higher Education Academy (2016).
Continuing Professional Development
Over my career I have continued to update my skills and attended a wide range of training events including: software training (including website and database design); VLE and student records systems; computer coding for music; management training (Institute of Leadership & Management & ACAS); Belbin and PRINT profiling; health and safety training (IOSH & ROSPA); research methods training; research supervision, and writing for publication (TVU Graduate School, Westminster and Sussex Universities); quality assurance method training from the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA); TEF panelist training (HEFCE & QAA).
- Full member: Audio Engineering Society (AES).
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Arts (FRSA).
- Founding member- Association for the Study of the Art of Record Production (ARP and J-ARP).
- Member of the Centre for Higher Education Equity Research (CHEER) University of Sussex.
- Member of the Centre for Teaching and Learning Research (CTLR) University of Sussex.
- Member of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM).
- Member of the National Association for Music in Higher Education (NAMHE).
- Member of the 21st Century Music Practice Research Network.
- Member of Guild HE’s Innovation, Enterprise and Knowledge Exchange (IEKE) and Quality Assurance Managers Networks.
- Member of UK Music’s Music Academic Partnership (MAP).
- Member of the Editorial Steering Group of the Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice (JPAAP).